Monday, May 10, 2010

Summarize how Elizabeth rises to the throne -- from her birth to her coronation.

Elizabeth's Henry VIII had several wives and Elizabeth was conceived by Anne Boleyn. Anne could not produce a male to take over the thrown, so Henry VIII had her executed. Elizabeth was completely inspired by her father and wanted to be just like him. Have his power and all. Elizabeth's beloved father Henry died, and Elizabeth's half brother Edward became king. He was only ten years old, so the council had to make decisions for England. Edward was going to take the throne completely when he became of age, but he became ill and died. After his death Elizabeth's half sister Mary took the throne. Her reign didn't last very long, because Mary didn't have any children to rule after her. She past away and finally Elizabeth took the throne in 1558 at the age of 25.
Elizabeth had the heart of a lion, and was fit to rule. In one of her speeches addressing the attack on England she says, "I know I have but the body of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart of a king, and of a king of England, too; and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realms: to which, rather than any dishonor should grow by me, I myself will take up arms; I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarder of every one of your virtues in the field."(http://historymedren.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/elizabeth.htm) She served until her death in 1603.


Works Cited
"Elizabeth I of England." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Web. 13 May 2010. .
"About.com: Http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/elizabeth.htm." Medieval History - Life in the Middle Ages and Renaissance. Web. 13 May 2010. .

No comments:

Post a Comment